Sunday, July 11, 2010

My Sister in the Congo


Yesterday I returned from my vacation in Ireland to some very exciting news!

I have been matched with a sister through Women for Women International!

I said in an earlier entry that I would talk more about Women for Women International – so here goes: This organization helps women survivors of war rebuild their lives. For just $27 a month ($162 semi-annually, $324 annually), you can support a “sister” overseas in the organization’s year-long educational program in which women learn their rights, and gain leadership, vocational and technical skills training. You can choose to support a woman with “the greatest need” or support a woman from a specific country, including Afghanistan, Bosnia, Herzegovina, the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC), and Iraq, to name several (a complete listing is on the organization’s website).

I received my sister's name and her picture in the mail, know that she is from the Congo, is married and has four kids. I am told that when she attends her first WFW class she will provide more detailed information about her life and her circumstances.

To everyone who wants to make a difference in the life of a woman, I urge you to sign up as a sponsor today. It's so easy. Two of my colleagues are sponsors (one recommended it to me) and after hearing the founder of the organization - Zainab Salbi - speak, you know that helping women on a global level is her life cause and passion and that your money is going to help transform lives for the better.

In my welcome packet I also received information on 'a day in the life' for women in the DRC, what I can expect on this journey, FAQs, and tips on how to connect with my sister. Beyond sending a check to your sister, the program encourages you to exchange letters, pictures and cards. We are told that many sisters are illiterate, so visual correspondence (pictures, drawings) are specifically valued. We are also told that even if sisters do not write back (though most sponsors do receive letters), we should keep writing. Sometimes sisters are depressed or too traumatized to write back.

But between you and me - I really hope my sister writes back (after I introduce myself, of course).

I'm really excited to begin but do have the same concern as many sponsors, that is, what exactly can I tell this woman whose life is so drastically different from mine? We are instructed to tell about our home and family life, but I'm thinking that "Hi, my name is Carly. I am 25, unmarried, and live with my boyfriend in Brooklyn," may not go over that well. Or how about, "Hi, my name is Carly. I work in NYC in healthcare public relations." To a woman who is getting trained in something along the lines of textile producing or livestock rearing, what in the world is public relations? So there are definitely barriers, but hopefully the differences will make the relationship more interesting. Above all, I really just want to hear her story and make a difference in her life. I'm sure she will make a difference in mine.

Please join me in helping these women.

2 comments:

  1. Hey luna:)

    So proud of you...

    thought maybe you could focus on the U.S in the next entry. As you know, this is something close to my heart: http://www.nclr.org/content/policy/detail/1331/

    Many of our friends have grown up here- and because of decisions of their parents- have no opportunity to work, and fear deportation, even after graduating college. This affects families, and this affects women. The DREAM act is an act that could offer these young people a chance, as opposed to separating families.

    I love your attention to issues that affect women- I love you luna:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jessie--

    Thanks for sharing this. Will take a look at it.

    And thanks for spreading the love. Glad you enjoyed the entry.

    ReplyDelete